Saturday, August 25, 2007

The juggling act...

Playwriting is my main passion. I have been writing plays since I was 8 years old, have had many produced, have a sizable student loan from going to grad school for playwriting, and love it. BUT...I also love acting, and directing, I also have a children's novel in the works, a children's book out there, a young adult novel in first draft form, a one-chick band, Girl Crusade (writing songs, recording them, making videos now too)...of course, I also work, socialize, have family and all that on top of it.

Sometimes I wonder if I am keeping it all straight. Am I devoting enough time to any of my artistic pursuits? Or just some time to all of them? There is that awful saying, "Jack of all trades, master of none." I hate that, because I don't feel that needs to be the case at all. I feel my music, plays, stories/books can all have wonderful qualities and be successful in their own rite...or right...My work is also similar, in that it is all writing. Writing is my passion, honestly, and that has been the case since before I could pick up a pencil (dictating stories to my mother to write down). And that may come in many forms, and that is okay with me and it keeps me interested in all avenues.

But...there are only so many hours in one day...and that is why, I suppose, that awful Jack saying has come about. It is up to me to structure my time in a meaningful way, so that I can not only create, but also send my work out there. I have to say NO to the Top Chef marathon on Saturday afternoon and commit the time to creating or marketing.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

No comments: